The first time I conducted a full-scale job search in 2006, I did it all by myself those first 3 months. I thought finding a job would be a cakewalk, because (insert arrogant sniff here) I’d just taught Shakespeare to college students. Boy was I off the ever-fix’d mark. During that first three month period, I scored ONE interview, proof I was getting nowhere fast. As a newly single mom to two pre-teens, I needed a job, STAT. Then I discovered WorkOne and Business & Professional Exchange, two communities that helped me band together with fellow job seekers. With their support and insights, I grew my network, landed more interviews and another 3 months later, I landed a job.
A job search surrounded by fellow job seekers makes good sense. As JT O’Donnell, CEO of Careerealism says, “When you build bonds with people, more gets done.” Here are three benefits that will inspire you to join a job search club:
- By conducting your job search in a structured, organized group with an experienced facilitator, your job search creates less stress and gets you juiced. You build momentum and grow guts.
- Studies also show that a job search conducted amongst your peers shortens your job search by 20% (i.e. a 5 month search becomes 4).
- (Most important): For me during my own job search, nothing satisfied my thirst for knowing what actually works out there like hearing another job seeker’s actual experiences. The sweetest nectar in job search comes from the insider knowledge you share with each other.
Over the next couple of weeks, I’d like to share more benefits of a job search club. Let’s start with the first benefit:
Benefit #1: You’ll learn Best Practices for running a job search campaign. Here are your main takeaways during the 8 weeks:
- Defining your personal brand
- LinkedIn Profile optimization
- How to network (even if you’re an introvert)
- The art of informational interviewing (and identifying an employer’s “pain points”)
- How to target ideal companies and reach out to insiders in those companies
- How to craft a dynamite, value-packed resume
- How to skillfully interview
- How to negotiate your salary
- How to stay positive throughout your job search
Here are the details:
Where: Ameriana Bank, 11521 Olio Rd, Fishers, IN 46037
Date: ► ► Sept. 6, 13, 20, 27 & Oct 4, 11, 18, Nov. 1 ◄◄
Time: 9-11 am
Investment: $199 –and if you sign up by Sept. 1, you will receive a complimentary 30 minute coaching session with me.
Next time, I’ll tell you more how the structure and organization of a job search club will shorten your search. Please share this blog with your friends and family who are looking for a job, or are under-employed and are ready for a change.
Questions? Reach out to me at 317.410.3011 or email@example.com